Visit Greece, the birthplace of Western civilization, beckons travellers with its rich historical tapestry, breathtaking landscapes, and warm embrace of Mediterranean hospitality. From ancient wonders to pristine shorelines, Greece promises a diverse and enthralling travel experience. So in this comprehensive guide, we will guide you through the top-notch accommodations, delectable gastronomy, must-visit attractions, ideal seasons, and invaluable tips to ensure that your Greek adventure becomes an unforgettable memory.
Outstanding Accommodations in Greece:
- Grace Santorini Hotel (Santorini): This boutique hotel, perched on the cliffs of the caldera, presents unrivalled vistas and luxurious indulgences.
- Bill & Coo Suites and Lounge (Mykonos): A tranquil oasis featuring refined suites and a renowned dining experience.
- Amanzoe (Peloponnese): An opulent resort offering private villas and a serene hilltop ambience.
- Poseidonion Grand Hotel (Spetses): A historical gem exuding timeless elegance and coastal charm.
- Blue Palace, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa (Crete): Nestled in Elounda, it boasts sea-facing bungalows and impeccable service.
- Perivolas (Santorini): A secluded haven, Perivolas offers a collection of cave-like suites overlooking the azure waters of the Aegean Sea. It’s a perfect escape for honeymooners and those seeking tranquillity.
- Canaves Oia Epitome (Santorini): This luxurious retreat in Oia features stunning infinity pools and panoramic views of the caldera. It’s an idyllic spot for a romantic getaway.
- Bill & Coo Coast Suites (Mykonos): A sister property to the renowned Bill & Coo Suites, this coastal gem offers direct access to the beach and elegantly appointed suites.
- Elounda Beach Hotel & Villas (Crete): Situated in the serene Elounda Bay, this resort combines luxury with a relaxed atmosphere. It features private villas with plunge pools and a tranquil spa.
- Porto Zante Villas & Spa (Zakynthos): Located on the stunning island of Zakynthos, Porto Zante offers exclusive beachfront villas with private pools and direct access to a secluded beach.
Culinary Delights to Savor:
Greek cuisine is a delightful fusion of Mediterranean flavours. Relish the following dishes:
- Moussaka: Layers of eggplant, minced meat, and velvety béchamel sauce.
- Tzatziki: Creamy yoghurt blended with cucumber and garlic.
- Souvlaki: Skewered and grilled meat or vegetables served with pita bread.
- Greek Salad: Fresh tomatoes, cucumbers, olives, and feta cheese.
- Baklava: A sweet pastry featuring layers of nuts and honey.
Must-Visit Greece Destinations:
- Acropolis of Athens: Marvel at the Parthenon and the ancient city of Athens.
- Santorini: Stroll through charming Oia, renowned for its mesmerizing sunsets.
- Delphi: Explore the ancient sanctuary and its archaeological treasures.
- Meteora: Be awestruck by monasteries perched atop towering rock columns.
- Mykonos: Revel in vibrant nightlife and pristine beaches.
- Rhodes: Explore the medieval Old Town of Rhodes, a UNESCO World Heritage site, with its winding cobblestone streets and historic fortifications.
- Nafplio: Wander through this picturesque coastal town with its charming streets, neoclassical architecture, and the iconic Palamidi Fortress.
- Zakynthos: Discover the stunning Navagio Beach, also known as Shipwreck Beach, with its turquoise waters and the famous shipwreck resting on the sand.
- Crete’s Palace of Knossos: Step back in time at the ancient Minoan Palace of Knossos, a site steeped in mythology and history.
- Corfu: Visit the Achilleion Palace, a former royal residence. Similarly, explore the historic centre of Corfu Town with its Venetian architecture and vibrant atmosphere.
Ideal Time to Explore:
Greece’s climate varies, but the prime time for a visit is generally from late spring to early autumn (May to September). So this period ensures pleasant weather for outdoor adventures, swimming, and island-hopping. However, if you prefer a more tranquil experience with lower costs, consider the shoulder seasons of spring and autumn.
- Respect Local Culture: Greeks hold their traditions dear, so please be mindful of local customs and dress modestly when visiting religious sites.
- Learn Basic Greek Phrases: A few simple greetings can foster connections with locals.
- Carry Cash: While cards are widely accepted, it’s wise to have some cash on hand, especially in smaller towns and islands.
- Explore Beyond Mainland: Don’t limit your exploration to Athens and popular islands. Greece’s mainland and lesser-known islands offer unique experiences.
- Sun Protection: Sunscreen, sunglasses, and a hat are essential, particularly during the summer months.
- Embrace ‘Kafeneio’ Culture: In Greek villages and towns, traditional coffeehouses called ‘kafeneia’ are more than just places for coffee; they are hubs of local gossip and community. Sit down, savour Greek coffee, and engage with the friendly locals.
- Sample Local Wines: Visit Greece for a rich winemaking tradition with numerous indigenous grape varieties. Don’t miss the opportunity to explore Greek wines, such as Assyrtiko from Santorini, Agiorgitiko from Nemea, and Xinomavro from Macedonia. Similarly, Many wineries offer tours and tastings, providing insights into Greece’s viticultural heritage.
Greece is a captivating destination that seamlessly melds ancient history with contemporary allure. So whether you’re an archaeology enthusiast, a beach aficionado, or a gastronomic adventurer, Greece has something extraordinary to offer. Besides, with its picturesque landscapes, exquisite cuisine, and welcoming populace, Greece is a treasure trove awaiting your exploration. So, pack your bags and embark on a journey through this Mediterranean paradise – it’s an adventure you’ll cherish for a lifetime.
Thus book your tickets and Visit Greece only with OnGoEazy!